KMW is the farm mechanisation brand of Kirloskar Oil Engines Limited.
KMW was created to vivify the company’s vision of empowering the world’s small and marginal farmers, with innovative farm machines.
Designing products based on consumer insights
Even before a new product is designed, KMW invests in gaining a deep understanding of the needs of farmers. This channels the company’s vast engineering expertise and experience in the agriculture sector into creating innovative and relevant products.
Mega T. A revolutionary farm machine created to fulfil the needs of farmers
Mega T is a live example of how an understanding of customer needs can create innovations that are relevant and successful. The Mega T range was designed to fulfil the unmet needs of farmers for safety, comfort and affordable productivity. This line of farm machines have created a new category in farming equipment.
Months of extensive research went into gauging the design of Mega T. In a study that covered hundreds of farmers across 40 locations in the country, it was found that:
Tractors: While nearly 600000 tractors were sold annually, and India had a tractor population of over 40 lakhs (at the time of the insight study), there were no effective mechanisation solutions that were within the reach of small and marginal farmers. Further, tractors were found unsuitable for several applications required by the marginal farmer.
Some of these are:
– Puddling: Most tractors were found to be too heavy to optimise the depth of puddling in paddy fields.
– Row crop cultivation: Tractors were considered too wide to work in narrow rows, or between rows of crops like sugarcane.
Tillers: The power tillers available to such farmers fell short on critical features such as comfort, safety and utility. Even those who had bought power tillers didn’t seem to have pride of ownership. Some serious lacunae were:
– Comfort: The lack of a seating arrangement and imperfect ergonomics made for uncomfortable handling and a dangerous strain on the shoulders.
– Safety: The absence of an effective braking system or headlights meant serious risks to the safety of users.
Having understood this, the way forward was clear. KOEL needed to design a product that could offer the functionality and safety of a tractor and the versatility of a tiller.
Mega T. A whole new category that empowers farmers
The Mega T line has carved out a new category – one that is relevant and innovative enough to bring mechanisation to smaller farms. Farmers who use Mega T have recorded a 50% increase in productivity, and a 20% reduction in fuel consumption as compared to regular tillers.
These multi-purpose farm machines can be used across India for different crops and soil types. They are suitable for dry land and wetland farming, as well as for primary and secondary cultivation. Mega T machines also offer applications for crop care and in-field transport of agricultural produce.
Mega T offers unique benefits such as:
Comfort and convenience
Comfortable seat: Mega T has a designed a driving seat that enables the operator to sit comfortably. A patent has been filed for this feature.
Adjustable handle: Mega T’s handle can be adjusted according to the height of the operator.
Ergonomic design: Mega T is designed to minimise strain on the shoulders of users.
Multi-use PTO: The MEGA T has a PTO which rotates at 1200 RPM @ 2000 RPM of engine. This rotary power can be used to run stationary applications like water pumps, alternators, flour mills, and sprayers. A patent is pending for this feature.
Specially designed rotor shaft: The rotor shaft is easily detachable, to make it convenient for farmers to change implements.
A unique hopper: A hopper can be fitted on the Mega T for transporting up to 150 kg of agricultural produce. We have filed a patent for this feature.
Hydraulic Brakes: A brake on transmission offers better control, and helps avoid major accidents. A patent has already been filed for this.
Seat: Mega T has a seat that keeps feet and clothing safe from stones and implements.
Durability and running economy
Cerametallic clutch: A cerametallic clutch, which is generally used in heavy vehicles, has been incorporated in Mega T. This feature extends the life of the clutch by as much as 500%.
Long-life gearbox: Mega T comes with higher module gears, which extends the life of the gears.
Lower running costs: Mega T has been designed to consume up to 25% less fuel than power tillers. Moreover, features like the cerametallic clutch and long-life gear box dramatically reduce the cost of maintenance over the years.
Pride of ownership
Tractor-like styling: The unique styling of the machine is inspired by powerful tractors. A bonnet and a drink holder are standard accessories in the Mega T range. Described by farmers as macho, Mega T has been recorded to inspire awe among viewers and pride among owners.
Premium features: The deluxe model of Mega T is fitted with premium accessories like an ignition key, a cell phone charger and an hour meter.
In fact, while Mega T was specially designed for small and marginal farmers, it is also extensively used by farmers with big holdings, as they no longer have to depend on hiring power tillers for inter-culture operations in their sugarcane fields or orchards.
This line of lightweight farm machines was designed to bring the benefits of mechanisation to farmers in challenging terrains. These machines are powerful enough to carry out tasks like weeding and tilling, and compact enough to work in narrow spaces and awkward corners.
The insights behind the design of Min T
Two insights have led to the creation of the Min T range.
- A significant percentage of farm land lies in the hilly areas of India. Since most tillers and other farming machines are too heavy and cumbersome to be transported uphill, farmers in hilly regions are denied the advantages of mechanisation.
- Farmers who grow row crops like vegetables are deprived of mechanisation products, as most of the products available are too wide to work the narrow rows required for their crops.
Min T. Powerful productivity in a small size
The Min T line of compact, lightweight farm machines offers benefits such as:
- The ability to increase farming productivity at high altitudes.
- Ease of transportation in hilly areas.
- Fast and efficient weeding in rows as narrow as 4.5 feet.
- 5-8 HP of power to carry out farming tasks required in hilly areas and in narrow rows.
MEGA T is India’s most awarded brand in its category. The brand has won prestigious international and Indian awards, some of which are :
- Japan Good Design Award (G Mark) from Japan in Oct 2016.
- ‘Gold Award’ at SGIA Expo 2014, held at Las Vegas during October 2014 (for product graphics).
- Innovation Award by AIMA, Delhi, in March 2015.
- CII Innovation Award from CII in 2015.
- India Design Mark by the India Design Council, in August 2016.
- Rural Marketing Innovation Award, CMO Asia Retail Counters, in 2015.
Patents are pending for the following features of Mega T.
- Mounted Material Carriage.
- Side Power Take-Off (PTO).
- Transmission braking systems.
- Integrated operator comfort features.
Kagal, Kolhapur :
The KMW manufacturing facility is a state-of the-art plant, located in the MIDC complex in Kagal, Kolhapur. The Kagal plant has the capacity to manufacture 10,000 Mega T machines annually.
Some of the features of the Kagal plant include :
- Indigenous and reliable technology and world-class machinery.
- An advanced transmission assembly line.
- A separate environment-friendly paint booth that produces a flawless finish, and safeguards the safety of paint technicians.
- Dedicated engine test cells that include automated testing facilities.